Sunday, December 22, 2013

Hawks and Rams Skate to 2-2 Tie, Remain Unbeaten

An argument could be made that since 2006, the Hendricken hockey program has been the best in the state. An early-season favorite for the state title last season turned into March disappointment, however, as the Hawks were swept out of the playoffs in the first round by their archrivals, LaSalle Academy.  If our guys planned on easing into the Division 1 schedule this season, those ideas were quickly dashed on a first look at the schedule, as opening night December 6th  had them up in Woonsocket to take on the perennial powerhouse Mounties in Adelard Arena.  The Hawks served notice that night that the program that coach Creamer and his staff have worked to build over the course of the past seven or so years hasn't lost a beat, as the Hawks skated off the Adelard ice with a 2-1 win.

To date our guys still haven't lost, though LaSalle played them even last night, as the archrivals toughed one another out but never settled anything, as the contest ended in a 2-2 overtime tie.

From the perspective of us guys here at The Network, however, what better way to open up the hockey broadcast schedule than with a hard-fought game between these two schools?  For any fans who may be so inclined, the first and second periods can still be seen by clicking on our UStream link at the bottom of the page, and period number three is available at the top of the page in the central UStream viewer.

The most important take away from the entire game would have to be the outstanding goalie play of our own Christian Maselli and the Rams' Tyler Walsh.  Time and again snipers for both teams worked in for close shots but were turned away, some of the saves simply outstanding ones.  The four goals in the game came relatively early on, with the Hawks jumping out to an early 2-0 lead in the first period on goals from Pat Creamer and Brandon Mitchell, and the Rams answering with two of their own at the outset of the second. Both of the Hawks' goals can be seen here:

From then on both goalies locked down their respective nets, right through an overtime period.  The Hawks, in fact, had a final power play opportunity with 2:19 remaining in regulation but were unable to capitalize.

So, with the tie, the Hawks go to 4-0-1 on the season and hold onto first place in Division 1.  Next up for the team is the Mount St. Charles Holiday Face-Off from December 26-28.  The Hawks' first game in the tournament is set for 2:00 on Wednesday afternoon against Fairfield Prep from Connecticut.  The remainder of their schedule will be determined as the tourney unfolds.